Winter Tips for Homeowners November 23, 2017
Welcome back to the Friday Forecast! It’s safe to say that winter has arrived here in Winnipeg. As I write this today, it is the first SNOW DAY of the season! That used to sound more exciting when I was young and in school. There was nothing more satisfying than to wake up to hear it’s a snow day, and going right back to bed for the majority of the day. Nowadays a snow day means leave an hour earlier and drive 50km the entire way to work and hope you don’t hit the ditch. On the plus side, the first snow day has inspired me to share some winter tips for you homeowners! So, take out your pens and notepads (or, if you’re not old school like me, take out your laptops, cell phones or tablets) and jot these useful tips down!
- Save up to 15% per year on your heating bill by turning your thermostat back 3 degrees C for 8 hours every day
- Turn your water heater down to a normal setting of 49 degrees C helping you save more than 7% per year on your heating bill
- Re glaze or replace your windows (if need be). Up to 25% of heat loss in your home can come from uninsulated windows
- A properly insulated attic can save 10% – 50% off your heating bill
- Proper chimney maintenance can save money on your heating bill, and also will keep you and your family safe
- Turn the switch on your fan to run clockwise at a low speed to help distribute the heat in your home
- Make sure your gutters are free of debris to help prevent ice damming and gutter backup causing leaks
- Turning off water supply to your outside faucet is a good way to prevent from busted pipesThese are just some of many tips to help happy homeowners! If you have any other tips or tricks up your sleeve for the winter, we would love to hear what they are! Comment below and give us your two cents! **CONTEST TIME** As an added bonus, we will be choosing our favourite tip from the comments and will announce a winner on our next Friday Forecast blog post. Whoever we choose will win a $10 Tim Hortons gift card, a little something to keep you warm as the weather gets colder.
Enjoy your weekends and don’t forget to tune in next Friday to see our winner!
The Joelson Team